Thursday, March 1, 2012

We Love Our Summer Staff, Part 3: Joey and Rebekah

Howdy, howdy, again, CFA! Here is yet another installment of staff interviews, from two of our most charismatic, involved, and creative summer staff members of 2011. Enjoy!

Rebekah (on the right) - age 19 - living in San Antonio, TX
University attending and current job: Full Sail University and barista at Barnes & Noble Cafe 
Noteworthy Hobbies, Skills, or Talents: I'm not quite fluent, but very articulate in French.
What exciting thing have you done this past year that you want campers to know about?: I got accepted into the school of my dreams!
Favorite memory from CFA 2011: During Operation Purple week, Eskimo and Farrow had sort of a friendly rivalry going, but one night we had a joint embers. It got really deep, there wasn't a dry eye in the house, and it made everybody come together and realize that maybe we're not all that different.
Place on camp where you could most often be found last summer: High ropes course all day everyday, baby!
Favorite core value: Respect - respect yourself and others, and people will respect you back.
Favorite snack time ice cream: FUDGE BARS
Must-have items while working summer camp: Water bottle and a good attitude :)
Advice you'd give to other counselors: SAVE THE DRAMA FO' YO MAMA. The main focus at camp should be the children, not whatever's going on between the counselors. You can't have that on your mind (or other stressors outside of camp for that matter) and be able to give it your all to your campers, and they're what's most important.
Advice you'd give to summer campers: Don't be afraid. Don't be afraid to be yourself, don't be afraid of heights, don't be afraid of trying new foods or meeting new friends or doing things you haven't done before. You will change in the best way possible if you just let go of all your fears, and you're in the perfect place to do that.
What you're looking forward to most about this upcoming summer: Being an even better counselor than last year and changing even more lives for the better :)
Quote to live by: "No, it's not fair, but what makes earth feel like Hell is our expectation that it should feel like Heaven. Earth is earth."
Joey (in the middle!) - age 23 - studying in Muncie, Indiana
University/Job: Ball State University, Marketing intern at ACE
Noteworthy skills/hobbies/talents: I really enjoy taking photos of awkward moments making it into art. Photography has been a hobby of mine for 3 years and it is what makes me happy. Now, most people say that singing is a talent of mine but I just love to do it because it makes others happy. Other skills I'm known for are my abilities to sew, draw, edit, write and do computer programming.
Exciting things you've done this year: This year, I spent New Year's Eve for the first time in NYC. Amazing! Also, I am a registered reading partner where I volunteer at elementary schools and tutor kids in reading. I recently just participated in Photo Week DC where I take pictures on my iPhone of art around the city.
Favorite memory of CFA 2011: My favorite memory of camp was during operation purple week. Watching the transformation of my campers in Ottawa go from silent to crazy, wild and amazing was the best feeling ever. What I can remember most is watching Luke become a better person. They would go running early in the morning to mount vesper singing Mulan "We are Men". Loved these guys.
Place on camp you could always be found last year: You can always find me in the craft shed, singing loudly and scaring the horses. Haha.
Favorite core value: Faith. I challenged myself to face several fears of minds including horseback riding and high ropes. All I had to lean on was faith in myself.
Favorite snack: Orange and Cream Bar. Yum. I used to beg everyone for their bar.
Must-have items for working at summer camp: Water, Water and Water. Comfy shoes, swimwear, sun screen, boots for Thursday and did I say water?
Advice you'd give to counselors: Challenge yourself, be relatable, and be crazy fun. You are there to find yourself, make the best experience ever for the campers and be what you always wanted to be. Think like a kid, act like a kid, be the kid. This is a tool to motivate yourself and the campers. Have a blast!
Advice you'd give to the campers:  Be a kid and go crazy, but be respectful. Challenge yourself through Raggers and make a difference. Be a part of the LIT and CIT program.
Looking forward to: Being on Ad Staff and seeing the old and new campers.
Quote to live by: "Being different isn't a mistake or judgement. Its having a gift to express to others" — me.

No comments:

Post a Comment