Wednesday, February 22, 2012

We Love Our Summer Staff, Part 2: Taylor & Gemma

It's been a week, and you guys have asked for more staff bios— so here's two ladies you will remember from last summer and the summer before! Both of these young women plan on being Ad Staff members in 2012, and we are lucky to have them back again. So, without further ado, here's Taylor and Gemma!

Taylor, age 20,  studying in San Marcos, TX
University/Job: Texas State University at San Marcos, Site Director for YMCA of Austin Afterschool
State: Texas
Noteworthy skills/hobbies/talents: Singing, improv, planning & programming
Exciting things you've done this year: Moved into my first apartment!
Favorite memory of CFA 2011: All of my awesome cabins and Raggers!
Place on camp you could always be found last year: Ragger's Point
Favorite core value: Honesty
Favorite snack: Neopolitan ice cream sandwich
Must have items for working at summer camp: Chacos, sunglasses, CamelBak, sunscreen, deodorant and bobby pins!
Advice you'd give to counselors: Sleep on your 24s!
Advice you'd give to counselors: Stick it out and become and LIT, CIT and counselor!
Looking forward to: Being on Ad Staff!!!!
Quote to live by: "Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."


Gemma, age 24, from England
University attending (and current job): Studying Access to Higher Education at Warwickshire College and working as a Gym Instructor
Country I'm living in: ENGLAND!!! :)
Hobbies, skills, talents: Random skill=Touching my nose with my tongue, Hobby=LOVE working out in the gym and Talent=Being amused by the simplest things...EVER
What exciting things have I done in the past year? Been offered a place on a degree to study Sport & Fitness Management starting on my return from Texas 2012 AND being asked to be a bridesmaid with my sister at my Mum's wedding in May 
Favourite memory from CFA 2011? Leaving the humming bird feeder full of yummy food on the tree outside the cabins and getting super excited with the campers when we spotted one out there (and giving the humming birds we saw their own names...can't remember the names now though)
Place I could most often be found? In the crows nest out at high ropes (once I'd got over the height issue), ORRR....making loads of lanyards down at the arts and craft shed
Favourite core value: Caring, I think that all of the core values can fit into this one, a kind word, thought or action can have a huge impact on somebody or in a situation.
Favourite snack time ice-cream: Ice cream sandwich!!!
Must have items when working at summer camp: Got to be a smile, a camera, and a waer bottle!
Advice I'd give to other counselors: Remember the reason that you are there, be the best that you can be and be somebody that you yourself would be proud to know...and enjoy every second of it - even when you are tired!!! (summer camp goes far too quickly but the memories last forever!!!) :)
Advice I'd give to the summer campers: Don't be afraid to be true to yourself, make the most of the time that you are at camp because all of the friends that you make will be like family, and the experiences and memories that come with camp will last long after you're heading back home.
What I'm looking forward to about this summer: Meeting new and old friends, having a great time with all of the campers and attempting to break my previous photo taking record!
Quote to live by: Be the change that you want to see in the world. —Ghandi

No comments:

Post a Comment