Tuesday, January 25, 2011

An Ode to the New Year By Polly Pierce


Come the end of December and beginning days of January, and you will find people racking their brains to set a New Year’s Resolution.  Typically, and the most common resolutions are in the realm health – either losing weight or trying to fit into that outfit from five years ago, while still looking good in the outfit. While this action or otherwise thought of setting a resolution is a step in the right direction, most people don’t carry out their thoughts and plans.  I want to offer a couple ways to stay on track with your already created resolution or re-evaluate your resolution for a more successful experience.

The mission statement of the YMCA is this: to provide Judeo – Christian principles into practice through programs that enrich a healthy spirit, mind, and body.  As a POW WOW coordinator, I strive to challenge each child in these areas on their own accord.  But we aren’t in summer camp, so you might be asking yourself, “Where is she going with this?”  And I say this, “Lets create our own resolution circled around the idea of building a health spirit, mind, and body.”

First, lets tackle what it means when I say “healthy spirit, mind and body.” This is who you are! It is what you are made up of.  It is what holds you together.  The great thing about figuring out what this phrase means to you is that it is what you want it to be.  You set the rules. Only you can answer for yourself.

Next, let’s answer a list of questions to point you in a direction of setting appropriate goals for yourself.
-What areas of my life am I happy with?  Unhappy with?
-What do I wish I could do? Or do better?
-Do I have a gift I could share that would benefit others in my life?
-Do I have free time? If so, what do I with my free time? If not, what could be done to have a few minutes for myself?
-What makes me happy?
-What do I like to learn about? How do I learn best?
-What am I struggling with?   Is there anyone I could ask for help?
-Is there anything in my past that is holding me back from being who I want to be? Is there anything I can do about this issue in my past?
-Is there anyone dependent on me?  If so, how do I affect them now?  How are these changes going to affect them?


Great job! You have now answered the questions and our brain should be shooting off fireworks of different ideas.  You should be proud of yourself for knowing these things and being honest with yourself. We must now make a decision on what you would like to focus on.  

If you are like me, I had no idea how I was going to keep my resolution.  Solution:  I have decided to make monthly resolutions.   This is a great solution as you can focus on various aspects of your life without being overwhelmed in trying to become a new person overnight (Let’s be honest, we have all thought about this at one point or another.)  A shortly time frame is also easier to commit to - 30 days verses 365 days, you do the math!  At the end of the month, you will evaluate your goal, and decide on what to do next.

Lastly, a couple tips for you to ponder. Remember, this is about you and what is going to work for you – don’t let the goals of other cloud your judgment and goal setting.

1.    It is important to know where we have been.  It is important to have our eyes set on a goal. It is all about the process. What would you learn if you just woke up one morning able to play the guitar?

2.    Use people around you.  They are there for a reason.

3.    Use a journal.  Some people reflect better in writing (that’s me!)

4.    Find a friend to call and talk to.

5.    Set a goal and create a reward.

6.    Clearly define how you are going to reach your goal.

7.    Is your goal a time sensitive goal?  Set milestones.

8.    Do you need affirmation?  If so, what works best for you?

9.    Be honest, how are you going complete your goal?

10. Don’t be ashamed or disappointed when you run off track or you don’t reach your goal.  Re-examine.  Was there something that happened that didn’t allow you to finish? Was there anything outside of your control that happened to affect the outcome?

Get excited! You are preparing to embark on a grand journey that is going to change your life and possibly the people you encounter on a daily basis.  Know that you are worth it!  Know that you have been given a desire, a dream!  It is your choice with what you do with it! 



Polly Pierce

No comments:

Post a Comment