Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Reflection

With the recent and current wildfires ravaging more than 77,0000 Texas acres to date, I thought I would take a moment to write about reflection, loss, memories and call to action. While West Texas burned, I read post and listened to friends as they shared their sadness for loss of the land they loved, destruction of farms and animals. But it didn't effect me in a way that had me raring to do something to help. Then, this week, my camp "home" is threatened by fire. As the area around Possum Kingdom Lake burns wildly, YMCA Camp Grady Spruce (CGS) is threatened to burn. I got my camping start at CGS, met some of my best, lifelong friends, formed my relationship with God and discovered myself.

While CGS is never far from my heart and mind, memories have come flooding back. Like the beauty of each sunrise, cool morning skiing on the lake, peaceful nights on Raggers Point, memorial service for my dear friend in his passing, and all the friendships created on that small patch of earth we call Frontier Camp, Main Camp and Ray Bean Camp. I have not been able to sleep as I worry about the families displaced, my friend who is fighting the fire and the YMCA. I feel the need to go and do, but am torn as I have a family and responsibilities here. This really calls one to reflect on prioritizes.

Why did it take something directly linked to me to cause me to want to help?

How is possible that I was able to block out things like wild fires in West Texas just because I hadn't been there to create the memories?

How would I feel if CGS was burned to the ground? Would the memories be as strong with out the place to go to?

What can I do as 1 person to make a difference?

Honestly, I am not sure what I can do yet beside pray and send donations. Mostly I am ashamed that it took something directly linked to my heart to spur me into action. As a Ragger, I feel I should be more proactive and should have looked sooner to help, not when I was directly effected.

What do you think? What does it take to get your attention?

What if it was your camp that was burning? Your school? Your neighborhood? Your house? How would you feel? What would you feel compelled to do to help? How can you help now?

And why would it take a threat to your home, neighborhood, school to get you going? What can you do today to make a difference?

Just some food for thought. Do a rain dance every chance you get. Texas needs rain.

In the Spirit of Camp,
Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment