Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What the Rag Means to Me - Taylor & Alex

For the next few weeks, I am going to share words from your fellow counselors, Ragger leaders, campers and beyond. I have asked the same questions to various Raggers - if I didn't ask you, please feel free to Facebook or email me your answers.

First up is Taylor, 2010 Counselor and Co-Ragger Coordinator. She is pictured with her Ragger Counselor and long time CFA staff, Garrett.

1. What Rag are you currently challenging? The Gold Rag

2. Why are you a Ragger?
I’m a Ragger because since I was thirteen years old, I’ve been able to stay on the right track because of this program. It’s kept things in perspective for me and always reminded me that I have higher expectations of myself. It reminds me that I am able to be a better person, and it reminds me that there is always someone there that cares about me and wants me to succeed in my goals.

3. How has it changed your life?
The Ragger program has changed my life in so many different ways. As a camper, it made me see that there was more to camp than just having fun and hanging out with your friends. There was a strong spiritual aspect that wasn’t necessarily exclusive to Raggers, but they got to see it in a different light than the rest of the camp did. As an LIT, CIT and eventually when I became Raggers Co-Coordinator my first year as a counselor, it changed me in a sense that I knew that Raggers was the backbone of CFA. Every Friday night, whether it was two teary eyes or fifteen, it changed my heart and humbled me more than I can even describe. It’s a program that keeps you on your toes and really makes you reflect on the person that you are becoming. When I look at my Gold rag, I’m reminded that I’ve set a goal for myself, and that puts me back on track even in the hardest of situations.

4. Are you able to keep challenging the Rag outside of camp and if yes, how do you stay focused?
Yes, I continue to challenge my Ragger goals outside of camp. I think the hardest part of the program is being able to stay on the right track even when your counselor or your coordinator aren’t around to push you in the right direction. Staying focused on your particular goals is never easy when you’ve got all of the pressure of the real world on your shoulders. The way I try to think about it is: There’s a small, tight Raggers family that’s out there, in this big world, that genuinely cares about whether or not I reach my goals. I don’t want to let them down, and I don’t want to let myself down. When you remember that you’re not alone in challenging these goals, it helps to alleviate some of the stress from school, work, or other hardships that you may be facing outside of camp.

Next up is Alex, 2010 Counselor and Co-Ragger Coordinator:

1. What Rag are you currently challenging? I've been challenging my Red Rag for the last two years.


2. Why are you a Ragger? I became a Ragger when the program was just re-starting at CFA as a young camper, I wanted to better myself and becoming a Ragger has been a great way to do so.


3. How has it changed your life? Being a Ragger has changed my life by enabling me to set goals that seemed difficulty to do, that at the time I didn't think I would be able to do, and going out and accomplishing those goals. Being a Ragger has taught me to never give up on something that I want to do.


4. Are you able to keep challenging the Rag outside of camp and if yes, how do you stay focused?Staying focused on your Ragger goals outside of camp can be a difficult thing to do, I'll admit that I've had difficulty accomplishing my goals over the last few years, but if it's something that you truly want to improve on, you should have no problem staying focused.


The way that I stay focused on my Rag is putting it on my door knob, that way I'll see it everyday and be reminded of the goals I've set. I told every Ragger and the end of the ceremony to put it somewhere that you'll see and be reminded of your goals.

I miss camp :( Hope all is well with y'all
Alex


So remember to keep your Rag at the top of your priority list. If you want to submit your answers, please send them to Allison.

1. What Rag are you currently challenging?
2. Why are you a Ragger?
3. How has it changed your life?
4. Are you able to keep challenging the Rag outside of camp and if yes, how do you stay focused?

In the Spirit of Camp,
Allison

Y182?

No comments:

Post a Comment