Thursday, October 21, 2010

I Would be a Friend to All

The fifth line of the Ragger's Creed is "I would be friend to all, the foe, the friendless"

What does this mean? Does it mean you are friends with everyone and spread yourself thin? Or do you have a handful of REAL friends that know your heart's song and can play it back to you when you have forgotten it?

I think the line means both. One, that you do not shun people for differences such as skin color, disabilities, etc, but that you try your best to include everyone in your life on some level. For me, I often think of it in a group setting where everyone doesn't know each other - like the first day of camp. Do you stick to the people you know OR do you stick your hand out and introduce yourself to new people? This is what the fifth line is speaking too-reaching out to others and helping them feel welcome and apart of something greater.

On the other hand, I think true friendships are those people who know you inside and out. A song I love is in the song "Find Out Who Your Friends" are by Tracy Lawrence & friends. The chorus "somebody's gonna drop everything; run out and crank up their car; hit the gas, get there fast, never stop to think what's in it for me; or that it's way too far; they just show on up with their big ole hearts; you find out who your friends are . . ." For my closest friends, this is how I treat them and pray they will treat me - drop everything to help, comfort, push forward and embrace. It is said, if, at the end of your life, there are at least five people you can call your true friends, then you have been truly blessed. I think this is awesome and pray I have formed and keep forming these relationships. My work at camp has allowed me to create such awesome relationships. I am truly blessed.

While there will naturally be those that are closer to you and you love dearly, there will be those friends that you know socially or casually that you speak to but don't share your deepest thoughts. It is imperative in your life you work to stick your neck out to help everyone feel included and not segregate or form "cliques" with just your closest friends. Be a friend to all, the foe, the friendless but remember to form the deep, meaningful relationship as you go.

Remember-Youth Empowerment Retreat (click and look for tan box) is coming up December 10, 2010! Sign up today and take this time to renew your Rag goals at camp. Hey Hey CFA-stay pure, stay true, stay strong, stay brave, be a friend and stay CFA.

I would be true, for there are those that trust me;
I would be pure, for there are those who care;
I would be strong, for there is much to suffer;
I would be brave, for there is much to dare.

Be a friend to all, the foe, the friendless.

In the Spirit of Camp,

Allison

No comments:

Post a Comment