Wednesday, September 22, 2010

YMCA Raggers - I would be true

The first line of the Ragger's Creed is " I would be true, for there are those who trust me" What does this mean to you? How can you show people that you are trustworthy?

For me, being true is leading by example aka "walking my talk" and being true to myself. If I expect someone else to do something, then I must lead the way and do it first and often. I do my best to set this example in the camp kitchen. Everyone is expected help everywhere - cutting fruit, washing dishes, mopping, etc. While I am the primary cook, I also take time to sweep up my mess, clean dishes, and for sure mop. When I was a program director, I was out there with my staff plunging toilets, swimming laps for life guarding, hauling canoes and playing with campers. As a mom, I do my best to show my children Luke and Laine what it means to be trustworthy. Walking my talk is kind of the same thing. I work hard to lead a value filled life both at work and in my personal life. I don't turn off YMCA Allison when I go home or out with friends. I think this allows people to trust in who I am and what I say.

Being true to myself. This is defined as: "Don't change your core beliefs and values for someone else. For example, if you have decided never to use drugs and others are pressuring you to use them, you are true to yourself if you don't give into the pressure. " For me, this is put into play often and the YMCA Rag program has helped me define myself. Work to define your values and then work harder to maintain yourself.

Remember-who you are and what you do speaks louder than any words you will ever say. Remain focused on your Ragger goals, let us know how it is going and what "being true" means to you.

In the Spirit of Camp,
Allison

1 comment:

  1. This was great to read. Thanks for posting, Allison. It is a good reminder to think again of the Ragger's Creed.

    ReplyDelete